The USB Audio Codec that is built into windows was re-developed with Windows 8 and 10, which results in a different setting required with these Operating Systems than previous.
Usually, if there has been an error with this driver it may lose the name of the device which is built into the memory of the microphone, but the microphone would still continue to function without any issues.
If you would like to resolve this naming issue, there are a few things you can try:
- In the search bar next to the start button, type Control Panel. Click the link for the Control Panel folder when it appears.
- In Control Panel, find Device Manager and left-click to open it. You may have to change "View By" on the top-right of the folder from Category to Large Icons.
- In the Device Manager window, you will find the AT2020USB+ listed under Sound, video and game controllers. Click the arrow next to this group, which should then show several devices including your AT2020USB+. If it showed in the recording tab by a different name, this is the name it will have here also - you can confirm which is the right one by disconnecting and reconnecting the microphone whilst having this window open; the right one will disappear and reappear in the list as you do this.
- Right-click AT2020USB+ and click Uninstall. Press OK to confirm device uninstall.
- Now, simply disconnect the mic and reconnect it a few seconds later. Windows will automatically reinstall the drivers.
Test your device on a different computer
If the issue is specifically with your PC, testing on an alternative computer will be able to confirm this. If the name is correct on the second computer, there is a driver/setting issue on your PC which would need to be resolved by an IT Specialist. If the microphone continues to work, however, we would suggest this step is not required, and to just be aware of the new name on your PC. If the naming issue occurs on multiple computer, there may have been an issue with the memory inside the microphone. To resolve this you would need to contact your reseller or authorised Audio-Technica Service Centre.
If you have any concern about Audio quality with this microphone
Please follow the steps in this article to check your computer settings and confirm if your microphone is performing correctly.